Chuck Larivey OPA "The Private Collection"
Chuck Larivey OPA has always enjoyed painting; however, it was never a priority in the way it is now. He is most comfortable exploring koi and lilies and considers them to be his favorite subjects. “It allows me to use all the things I like about painting…..design freedom,” he says. “I avoid commissions as a default. My quirky thing preferring iconic subjects like Venice over the mundane.”
There are two basic approaches seen in Larivey’s style. “When I’m in the mood for detail, a more classical approach emerges,” he says, explaining that the combination of a suggestive stroke and more detailed moves such as One A Clear Day. “However most prevalent is abstract realism with wet-in-wet luminous light effects. Venice, Another Time and Under Crashing Waves are paintings rendered with abstract brushwork that is remarkably realist at a distance.” In either technique, Larivey’s real subjects are color, movement, luminous light effects, reflections and atmospheric transparency. “The binder is capturing the essence or an emotion successfully.” He says.
“I think making art is the closet thing to immortality any artist could hope for,” Larivey shares. “The real reason I paint!”
“I’m a daily painter exploring the merging of light and water on canvas. It’s a fascination I’ll spend the rest of my time as an artist pursuing and if my painting evokes an emotion, and my experience as an artist is shared, then it becomes worthwhile.” - Chuck Larivey OPA
Carrie Turner, editor of Fine Art Views wrote: Artist Chuck Larivey works primarily as an oil painter. He states that his paintings are typically large scale landscapes favoring the sun or the moon with dramatic atmospheric translucent light effects merging into the earth’s surface. Chuck has garnered acclaim for the way in which he handles water in his sensitive, atmospheric scenes.
Art critic Brian Sherwin, editor of The Art Edge, commented on Chuck’s paintings. Sherwin said, “Chuck’s impressive use of light is a joy to observe. His work offers a sense of energy that is truly captivating. The visual impact of his work is heightened by the delicate balance of his painterly marks on canvas.”
- 2017 Signature status Oil Painters of America
- 2017 OPA National Juried Exhibition - Eisele Gallery of Fine Art - Cincinnati, Ohio
- 2016 OPA Eastern Regional Juried Exhibition - Eisele Gallery of Fine Art - Cincinnati, Ohio
- 2016 OPA National Juried Exhibition - Southwest Gallery - Dallas, TX
- 2015 ChildSavers Artist Show - Glave/Kocen Gallery - Richmond, Va.
- 2015 Group Show “Water, Water, Everywhere” - Richard Stravitz Fine Art Gallery - Virginia Beach, Va.
- 2015 Solo “Singular Focus - Richard Stravitz Fine Art Gallery - Virginia Beach, Va.
- 2014 - 2015 Sizing up - Solo Exhibit - The Cultural Art Center - Glen Allen, VA.
- 2014 ChildSavers Artist Show - Glave/Kocen Gallery - Richmond, Va.
- 2014 Small Works Show - The Bennington Center for the Arts - Bennington, Vermont
- 2013 ChildSavers Artist Show - Glave/Kocen Gallery - Richmond, Va.
- 2013 Aquatic - A Day at the Beach - Peninsula Fine Art Center - Newport News, Va.
- 2013 Artists Painting for a Cause - Rich Timmons Fine Art - Doylestown, Pa.
- 2013 Richmond Plein Air - Brazier Gallery - Richmond, Va.
- 2013 Merging of Light and Water - solo exhibit - Richard Stravitz Fine Art Gallery - Virginia Beach, Va.
- 2013 Objective Impressionism to Non Objective Expressionism - Rich Timmons Fine Art Gallery - Doylestown, Pa.
- 2013 Salon International - Greenhouse Gallery - San Antonio, Texas
- 2012 WOAS World of Art Showcase - Wynn Las Vegas
- 2012 OPA Eastern Regional Exhibition of Traditional Oils - Bennington Center for the Arts, Bennington, Vermont
- 2012 Venice in Peril 21st Annual Exhibit - W. H. Patterson Gallery - London, England
- 2011 American Impressionist Society 12th Annual National Juried Exhibition – Mountainsong Galleries – Carmel-By-the-Sea, Ca.
- 2011 Solo Exhibition – Exploring the Merging of Water and Light – Urbana Harbor Gallery, Urbana, Va.
- 2011 OPA 20th National Exhibition of Traditional Oils - Devin Galleries, Coeur d'Alene, ID
- 2011 Salon International - Greenhouse Gallery - San Antonio, Texas
- 2011 Venice in Peril Exhibit - W. H. Patterson Gallery - London, England
- 2010 OPA Eastern Regional Exhibition of Traditional Oils - Walls Fine Art Gallery - Wilmington, NC
- 2010 Artist in residence status - Crossroads Art Center, Richmond, Va.
- 2010 January - Finalist Fine Art View Painting Competition - Judge Brian Blood
- 2010 Salon International - Greenhouse Gallery - San Antonio, Texas
- 2010 Venice in Peril Exhibit - W. H. Patterson Gallery - London, England
- 2009 Venice Collection Featured - Informed Collectors News Letter 12/16/09
- 2009 OPA Eastern Regional - Corse Gallery & Atelier - Jacksonville, Florida