Born in 1941, Chuck resides with his wife Brenda in Richmond, Virginia, where his studio is located. Larivey is a daily painter and a Signature Member of Oil Painters of America. He returned to oil painting on March 16, 2009, after a long career as a residential and commercial interior designer. Basically, a self-taught artist, his lifelong interest in the master’s is evident by Larivey’s sensitive approach to light, color, and form which evolved somewhere between classical and impression. His paintings are typically large scale with a wide subject range. He is known and collected for his Koi and Lily paintings and Venice and atmospheric seascapes and landscapes.
There are two basic approaches seen in Larivey’s style. When in the mood for detail, a more classical approach emerges. However, the most prevalent is abstract realism. Larivey’s brand is fluid abstract brushwork that develops remarkably realistic/dimensional effects at a distance. In either technique, his real subjects are color, movement, luminous light effects, reflections, and atmospheric transparency. The binder is capturing the essence of an emotion successfully.
Larivey paints in series and rotates his subjects to keep the mind fresh. He feels a good subject or series must develop a story line with the ability to expand over time. In his experience, there are exploratory paintings, sometimes called studies, that lead or culminate to one or more major works and then pause. Pauses or subject rotation is a natural and necessary way to keep any subject fresh.
He has this weird belief a painting should draw you in at a distance and be touchable closeup and personal. And without exception presented properly to the viewing public. And above all, the need to love your work, respect your collector and the value of your work.
Larivey passes this on under the banner of Swimming-in-Paint at Crossroads Art Center. Where he can be found weekends mentoring and coaching a group of like minded artists who
On weekends I can often be found mentoring and coaching a group of like minded artists under the banner of Swimming-in-Paint at Crossroads Art Center.
There are two basic approaches seen in my style. When I'm in the mood for detail, a more classical approach emerges. However, most prevalent is abstract realism with wet-in-wet luminous light effects with abstract brushwork that is remarkably realistic at a distance. In either technique, my real subjects are color, movement, luminous light effects, reflections and atmospheric transparency. The binder is capturing the essence or an emotion successfully.
A Final Thought
"I think making art is the closest thing to immortality any artist could hope for. The real reason I paint!"
- Chuck Larivey OPA
Carrie Turner, editor of Fine Art Views wrote: Artist Chuck Larivey works primarily as an oil painter. He states that his paintings are typically large scale landscapes favoring the sun or the moon with dramatic atmospheric translucent light effects merging into the earth’s surface. Chuck has garnered acclaim for the way in which he handles water in his sensitive, atmospheric scenes.
Art critic Brian Sherwin, the editor of The Art Edge, commented on Chuck’s paintings. Sherwin said, “Chuck’s impressive use of light is a joy to observe. His work offers a sense of energy that is truly captivating. The visual impact of his work is heightened by the delicate balance of his painterly marks on canvas.”
- 2019 The Virtuosos of the OPA exhibit, Cutter & Cutter, St. - Augustine, Florida
- 2017 Signature status Oil Painters of America
- 2017 OPA National Juried Exhibition - Eisele Gallery of Fine Art - Cincinnati, Ohio
- 2016 OPA Eastern Regional Juried Exhibition - Eisele Gallery of Fine Art - Cincinnati, Ohio
- 2016 OPA National Juried Exhibition - Southwest Gallery - Dallas, TX
- 2015 ChildSavers Artist Show - Glave/Kocen Gallery - Richmond, Va.
- 2015 Group Show “Water, Water, Everywhere” - Richard Stravitz Fine Art Gallery - Virginia Beach, Va.
- 2015 Solo “Singular Focus - Richard Stravitz Fine Art Gallery - Virginia Beach, Va.
- 2014 - 2015 Sizing up - Solo Exhibit - The Cultural Art Center - Glen Allen, VA.
- 2014 ChildSavers Artist Show - Glave/Kocen Gallery - Richmond, Va.
- 2014 Small Works Show - The Bennington Center for the Arts - Bennington, Vermont
- 2013 ChildSavers Artist Show - Glave/Kocen Gallery - Richmond, Va.
- 2013 Aquatic - A Day at the Beach - Peninsula Fine Art Center - Newport News, Va.
- 2013 Artists Painting for a Cause - Rich Timmons Fine Art - Doylestown, Pa.
- 2013 Richmond Plein Air - Brazier Gallery - Richmond, Va.
- 2013 Merging of Light and Water - solo exhibit - Richard Stravitz Fine Art Gallery - Virginia Beach, Va.
- 2013 Objective Impressionism to Non Objective Expressionism - Rich Timmons Fine Art Gallery - Doylestown, Pa.
- 2013 Salon International - Greenhouse Gallery - San Antonio, Texas
- 2012 WOAS World of Art Showcase - Wynn Las Vegas
- 2012 OPA Eastern Regional Exhibition of Traditional Oils - Bennington Center for the Arts, Bennington, Vermont
- 2012 Venice in Peril 21st Annual Exhibit - W. H. Patterson Gallery - London, England
- 2011 American Impressionist Society 12th Annual National Juried Exhibition – Mountainsong Galleries – Carmel-By-the-Sea, Ca.
- 2011 Solo Exhibition – Exploring the Merging of Water and Light – Urbana Harbor Gallery, Urbana, Va.
- 2011 OPA 20th National Exhibition of Traditional Oils - Devin Galleries, Coeur d'Alene, ID
- 2011 Salon International - Greenhouse Gallery - San Antonio, Texas
- 2011 Venice in Peril Exhibit - W. H. Patterson Gallery - London, England
- 2010 OPA Eastern Regional Exhibition of Traditional Oils - Walls Fine Art Gallery - Wilmington, NC
- 2010 Artist in residence status - Crossroads Art Center, Richmond, Va.
- 2010 January - Finalist Fine Art View Painting Competition - Judge Brian Blood
- 2010 Salon International - Greenhouse Gallery - San Antonio, Texas
- 2010 Venice in Peril Exhibit - W. H. Patterson Gallery - London, England
- 2009 Venice Collection Featured - Informed Collectors News Letter 12/16/09
- 2009 OPA Eastern Regional - Corse Gallery & Atelier - Jacksonville, Florida
- 2023 Boldbrush award for March abstraction - Lady Blue
- 2021 OPA National Juried Exhibition - California Center for the Arts Museum - Escondido, California
- 2020 OPA Eastern Regional Juried Exhibition - Reinert Fine Art - Charleston, South Carolina, 29401
- 2020 The March Boldbrush Award, Maymont Reflections